January 09, 2008

MAIDA MYSOREPAK


Wish you all a very Happy New Year!

My blog has remained largely untouched by me since the last 3 months because of changes in my routine.My daughter started school and with it,came other things that needed to be set into routine.(Needless to say,I now have a new respect and admiration for working women who have kids and are also avidly maintaining excellent blogs).I hope I will be able to attend to my blog much more regularly in this new year.I feel sort of guilty not being able to read all of your blogs,and post new recipes myself.I guess that is another tag that comes with being a mum...but I digress..

Ever since I first learnt how to make mysorepak,I always wanted to try if there was any other flour I could use for this, since I find that gramflour(Besan) with which this sweet is traditionally made, does not agree with many people.So in order to usher in the new year,I decided to experiment with maida.And the rest is history,as they say.

The ingredients and measurements are pretty much the same as in the traditional mysorepak, but I tend to use a little less ghee, so I think this recipe might help you understand it a bit better:

Ingredients:1 cup Maida/All purpose flour

1 & 1/2 cups white sugar

3-4 cups ghee

Cardamom seeds from 5-6 pods,ground into a powder

Method: Heat the ghee in a pan .It should be really hot.In the meanwhile,add 1/2 cup water to the sugar and let it melt on heat.Now,cook the syrup to the consistency of 1 string.To test whether the syrup is of this consistency,carefully take a little drop of syrup between your forefinger and thumb and then,bring your free finger(not the one with the syrup) to the other, and join.then pull your fingers apart ,about 1 cm apart, and see it it forms a string.With the measurements that I have given, this should be achieved easily.

Now, once the syrup is ready, take it off the stove.Now sieve the flour into the syrup and mix quickly so as to form a paste.Be careful not to form lumps and return it to medium heat.Now add a ladle full(about 1/2 cup) of ghee to the paste and cook, stirring all the time.Once the ghee is all absorbed into the paste,add more ghee.As the mixture cooks, it begins to form a honeycomb like structure .Immediately, add the ground cardamom and mix thoroughly.Then pour it immediately into a greased thali or baking tray.Cut into pieces immediately and set it aside to cool.



My Notes:Since this was the first time I tried this,I was sceptical of how it would turn out.But it did very well.The consistency of the cooled mysorepak was a bit harder than the traditional mysorepak.But it still turned out very nice.While I was making it, the flour and syrup mixture suddenly looked very thin to me.I was thinking that the next time I make this, I am going to add some cornflour to the all purpose flour,so as to give it a lighter,melt in your mouth type texture, and to fasten the cooking time.I know that in cakes,cornflour tends to give a very light texture which is why I am suggesting this.If you try this out,do let me know if you had any troubles.

As in traditional mysorepak made with besan,the amount of ghee used depends entirely on what stage the batter reaches the honeycomb texture.In the besan mysorepak,the ratio of ghee to besan is 2:1, but when I made this,it took more ghee to reach the honeycomb texture which is why I mentioned the amount of ghee as 3 to 4 cups.

40 comments:

Pooja said...

hi Vini,
A very Happy new year to you too dear !
Maida mysore is a novel idea, and great way to start new year with :) . keep blogging.. I miss youe presence on blogworld.

FH said...

WOW! That is new. Good one Vini. Maida has lot of gluten like Besan, works well!:)

Vini K said...

Hi Pooja,how are you dear?thanks a lot..I miss you and all the others too..only when I stopped blogging,I realised how much a part of my life you all have been:)



Hi Asha, thanks..but does besan have gluten?I am not sure though..who cares,as long as we are able to make something edible out of it:)

bha said...

My mom makes Mysire pak for mer, but i dont have the slightest idea of how it is made....thanks for the recipe.
Happy new year, and hop your daughter's doing fine at school

Jayashree said...

Sounds interesting....the whiteness of maida makes it look more like burfi.

swapna susarla said...

Hi vini
that looks great!!

Cynthia said...

Happy new year to you and the family! You were missed dearly.

EC said...

Wow...nice idea, will try and let u know

Lakshmi said...

This is a gr8 variation to normal mysore pak. Looks good.

Anonymous said...

Hello Vini,
My mother used to make it with whole wheat flour and it is called godhuma pak.Happy new year to you and your family.

Pooja said...

Hi Vini,
I have resumed the event of theme of the week and vegetable of the week, being my old buddy I miss your valuable comment there dear.

Sia said...

hey vini,
so gd to see this post. wishing u a very happy new year. dont feel guilty abt not getting time to check blogs or post in ur blog. i dont think i have to tell u that rt? get bk whenever u get time.
tc girl. hugs to u:)

Mythreyee said...

that is a good one. will let you know once I try this. I try all kinds of sweets. Your suggestion of adding a little more flour is a good idea.

Srivalli said...

Thats a great idea...looks yummy ...thanks for experimenting!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I never made mysorepak with maida! Very innovative idea indeed! Thnx for sharing..

www.zaiqa.net

Linda said...

Hi Vini, maida mysore pak looks light and delicious! Don't you worry about tending to the kids and kitties first... happy to see you whenever you have the time to pop around :)

Anonymous said...

This looks good....I never thought of trying this with maida.Thanks.

Dhivya said...

looks great...such an innovative idea...

Anonymous said...

Vini,

Wish you a Happy Ugadi.


Sarada

Sagari said...

mysorepak with maidha yummmmmm ,gonna try this soooon

Anjali Koli said...

Hi Vini

Good to see you blogging again and experimenting too. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! I really like your site.

Yasmeen said...

Thanks for posting the yummy recipes.
Hope you continue blogging.

Yasmeen
I'm just getting started
Do check out
HealthNut

Anonymous said...

resembles the sorts my grandma makes
thanks

Pooh said...

Hi Vini,
Maida-Paak looks yum-o!
I might make this for an upcoming potluck. This is going to be an awfully dumb question but is it really Maida: Ghee:: 1:4?

I've never made the regular mysorepak which is probably why I'm concerned.

Vini K said...

Hi Pooh,

sorry for the very late reply..haven't been on since the last few months deu to commitments at home.I did mention that I used a little less ghee.With the besan variation,I use 1.5 to 1 chee:besan.but since maida does not have the same taste as besan,a little more ghee works fine.hope this answers your question.do let me know how it came out.thanks.

Gayatri said...

Hi Vini,like ur recipes n the pictures that u hav posted, do continue posting recipes...

Srikitchen said...

looks new and yummy!
first time to ur blog and it is too good!
do visit my blog when u find time and join in the savory event going in my blog!

anudivya said...

That is quite an indulgence, looks rich and pretty.

Nithya Praveen said...

First time here,I've never heard of Maida Mysorepak.This looks really neat.My grandma always says mysorepak can be made only with besan...i need to make this n show it to her.thanks for the wonderful recipe.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Maida Mysorepak is a innovative idea..sounds like lot of fun. I will need to check this out.

Meenal Mehta said...

Hi Vini,

first time on your blog:) you not writing any more?

Sumi said...

Hello, when are you planning to update your blog?

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read the post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

archana said...

Come back Vini !

Success said...

I've never heard of Maida Mysorepak, however, I do look forward to giving it a try.

singh from domionos india said...

Mysore pak is my favorite one and this one really makes my taste buds dancing

Recipe For Lasagna said...

Nice post, id like to see more.

Knorr Soup said...

Vini, what a creative idea, making the time tested besan Mysore pak with maida! We do need to experiment often with old traditional recipes to suit modern tastes, especially because of the fat and cholesterol content in most of the traditional ingredients. Of course, in older times people were more mobile and walked a lot more than we do today, so they could cope with extra calories, but today, we cannot afford to do so as it will simply add to the kilos! For some expert tips and suggestions on healthy eating habits visit http://knorratseven.blogspot.com/.

jayshree bhagat said...

very famous in india, but never got a chance to have. i think i must try making it.
http://www.pinterest.com/kumar65/365-inspirational-quotes/